Sunday, August 1, 2010

Upcycled Necktie Rugs

One great way to recycle old neckties is to make rugs.


Dreamweavers’ "Executive" rug made from upcycled silk blend ties saved from the cutting floor.
See color selections here
According to Lifestyles Furniture's website, "Who said going green couldn’t look good? One of our best selling rugs, The Executive is thickly plush, with deep softness provided by its unique pile. The mix of silks and polyester fabrics are upcycled neckties. Each piece of our Executive rug is cut and sewn by hand, filled with hypo-allergenic poly filling, pieced together and backed with a non-slip action backing. The rug is stain-resistant, colorfast and 100% machine washable"
This article by Attic Mag talks about the Dreamweaver necktie rugs, along with rugs made from recycled tee shirts, belts, and shoelaces!

I've written previous posts about rugs that are listed in the sidebar, but I'll re-post the links here for easier reference
Woven rug

Another by Weaver Girl

A floor runner that I would love to learn how to make

Rag rugs by Sandy Voss

Braided rug how-to

Circular rug by Maylina
House/Studio

Another by EileenRug with maker

I'm not able to pull the photo, but the patchwork mat by Stephanie of Little Birds could be made with neckties.
If you're worried about wear and tear on silks and polyesters, you could maybe encase the mat in clear vinyl.
An idea anyway.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous DragonLady said...

What a fun blog! I wish I'd found this a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with my husband's grandfather's old neckties.

August 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thought you might enjoy this story about a "necktie urban art piece" in OB: http://obrag.org/?p=29931

December 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Ben said...

What a great idea! Maybe I should send you some of my unsellable ties to make me a rug. Kudos to your creativity!

July 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM  
Anonymous company ties said...

Now this is something new, I'd never imagine that something this beautiful can be done using neckties...

February 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home